Goals for the Organization
To increase our collective understanding of the challenges, identify viable solutions, and ensure effective charter school practices that justify the trust of parents and students with disabilities, the charter sector needs a credible entity that will be a reliable resource for key stakeholders; both in the charter sector and the special education advocacy community. We created The National Center for Special Education in Charter Schools (the Center) to fill the current void and proactively seek to foster innovations that will benefit both charter and traditional public schools. In creating the Center, our goal is to advocate for students with disabilities to ensure that if they are interested in attending charter schools, they are able to access and thrive in schools designed to enable all students to succeed.
To ensure that students with disabilities are able to fully access and thrive in charter schools.
The charter school sector will fully embrace its responsibilities to meet the needs of all students and serve as a model of innovative and exemplary programs for students with diverse learning needs.
- Challenge the Status Quo – We strive to foster meaningful impact, particularly for children in populations that have been historically marginalized, underserved, and untapped. We approach our work tenaciously with a mission-driven lens, both seeking and creating opportunities to change and improve the status quo through our work, and asking for accountability from our partners.
- Embrace Diversity – We welcome and embrace diversity both internally and externally, recognizing that including varied perspectives makes us stronger as a community. We seek to empower equitable, accessible, and inclusive environments that highlight the strengths and celebrate the differences of all individuals.
- Collaborate Authentically – We recognize strong partnerships and teamwork as essential to effectively furthering our mission and are committed to helping others succeed. We believe that we are strongest when we work together, listen to each other, and find common ground as we endeavor to meet our goals. We approach collaboration with humility, patience, respect, and compassion.
- Make Every Interaction Count – We embody a growth mindset in our work and recognize learning as an ongoing process. We value initiative and embrace hard work with a willingness to take on tough challenges while maintaining high expectations of professionalism and excellence from all.
- Commit to “Winning” – We are thought leaders and problem solvers; architects, not contractors. We take pride in identifying solutions rather than problems, seek to add value wherever possible, and adopt a resourceful approach to overcoming challenges. Winning to us is not about beating others, but about driving for a full outcome and a commitment to tangible positive results.